My children are so blessed with the wonderful carers that are in their lives, from school and pre-school teachers to their swimming instructors. So at Christmas it’s nice to give a little Thank You to those who invest so much time and effort into our kids….
Last week was busy. Ok… most weeks are busy in our household, but last week was EXTRA busy!
It was also the week of our oldest sons ‘Mothers Day Stall’ at his school. I had forgotten to purchase a gift for it, and just couldn’t bring myself to drive all the way to the shops, with all my boys, for a $5 gift. But as they say “necessity is the mother of invention”… so it was time to get creative.
I tried to think of something that most Mum’s would like and that reflects this lovely Autumn season. So as I’ve always got PLENTY of jars around, I thought that a DIY food gift would be the best option. Something comforting and tasty, but super easy to make. So I made up a little batch of a porridge/oatmeal mix. That could be put in a jar for later, or made up straight away to enjoy for breakfast.
PECAN SPICE PORRIDGE/OATMEAL WITH CHIA
Makes approximately 4 serves
1 cup (93g) Oats
1 Tablespoon (15g) Chia Seeds
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Vanilla Powder
1/8 teaspoon Ground Cloves
1/4 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
1/2 cup (55g) Pecans, chopped
3 cups Water, or your milk of choice
– Combine all the above dry ingredients into a small saucepan.
– Add water or milk, stir and cook over medium-high heat (stirring occasionally) until bubbling.
– Simmer gently for approx 10mins or until your desired consistency and ‘gloopiness’.
– Serve with your favourite yoghurt, pecans and perhaps a little splash of maple syrup.
So if you’re looking for a little gift for someone special, its super easy to combine all the dry ingredients in a jar.
Write out a little set of instructions, tie a ribbon, wrap it up and deliver.
There are so many other flavour combinations you could use… cranberry, currants, chai spice, cacao & cinnamon, apple-pie and more… just be creative.
- 1 cup (93g) Oats
- 1 Tablespoon (15g) Chia Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Vanilla Powder
- ⅛ teaspoon Ground Cloves
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- ½ cup (55g) Pecans, chopped
- 3 cups Water, or your milk of choice
- - Combine all the above dry ingredients into a small saucepan.
- - Add water or milk, stir and cook over medium-high heat (stirring occasionally) until bubbling.
- - Simmer gently for approx 10mins or until your desired consistency and 'gloopiness'.
- - Serve with your favourite yoghurt, pecans and perhaps a little splash of maple syrup.
I hope all the Mums enjoyed their Mother’s Day. I was able to spend a lovely day with my boys, enjoying breakfast together and a quiet day in the crisp Autumn air.
Q: Do you have a favourite porridge combination?