Recently a lovely friend of mine welcomed a gorgeous new pink bundle to her family, and while still having a baby in our house and breastfeeding, I KNOW how HUNGRY us Mumma’s can get! So you can be sure that when I went visiting to this little cherub I took along a couple of goodies.
These Energy Balls are perfect morsels for those late night feeds that can be kept in the fridge or freezer until you need them. With no baking required, they’re easy to whip up in the food processor and can be customised to suit your taste or specific diet. This recipe contains oats (as my friend isn’t GF or Paleo), but you could easily use Quinoa Flakes, or substitute for more coconut to make them grain free or Paleo.
So to all those fellow breastfeeding Mums out there… enjoy and keep up the great work!
- 150g Dates, pitted
- ½ cup (50g) Desiccated Coconut
- 2 Tablespoons (27g) Chia Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Powder
- ¼ cup (30g) LSA (Ground Linseed, Sunflower Seeds & Almonds)
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 25g Raw Honey
- 1 Cup (100g) Oats
- 2 Tablespoons (65g) Peanut Butter (I ONLY use Mayvers brand)
- 2 Tablespoons Tahini, hulled
- In a food processor add the pitted dates, coconut, chia seeds, cinnamon, vanilla powder, LSA, coconut oil and honey, and process until well combined.
- Then add in the oats, Peanut Butter and Tahini, and process again until combined.
- If you like the oats 'smaller' just process for longer.
- Check the consistency, you should be able to scoop a tablespoon full and roll to form a ball easily. If it is too dry just add more coconut oil or nut butter. If it is too wet, add more coconut or LSA.
- Roll into tablespoon size balls and store in a sealed container in the refrigerator or freezer.
I ONLY use Mayvers Peanut Butter as it's just that... PEANUTS!
Check it out here:
Have you got a favourite middle of the night/breastfeeding snack?